First and foremost, I am not a baker… the fact that I can make dairy free bread is in itself – a miracle. Since starting this dairy free quest, however, I’ve tried all sorts of new things! Like… this scrumptious bread! It is simple, straightforward, and can easily be made gluten free (and it’s already vegan!).
Dairy Free Bread Recipe
This, my friends, is a very simple recipe. Please note that you DO have to carve out 2 hours for this dairy free bread- but the actual work is very straightforward. In the end you will have perfect dairy free bread that your children will actually eat!
Quick nutrition note: many store-bought bread items are already dairy free, you just have to look at the ingredients to make sure.
Quick nutrition note: this recipe is also egg-free so technically is vegan. Please do not hold that against this bread, it is delicious.
What ingredients do you need to make dairy free bread?
Almost the best part about this bread is that it takes only 6 ingredients! The six ingredients are as follows:
- cane sugar
- active dry yeast
- olive oil
How do you make dairy free bread?
I am going to go through these instructions assuming you have no bread machine. Meaning, we are going to do this the old fashioned way!
First, we’ll need to make the dough. Start by mixing together a tablespoon of yeast into a bowl of warm water (not hot, but very warm). Add a “pinch” (I add about a teaspoon) of cane sugar. Let set for 5 minutes.
Step 1: Start with yeast.
Preheat oven to 170 degrees.
Step 2: Add the wet and dry ingredients.
In a seperate and pretty large bowl, mix together the rest of the sugar with the olive oil and applesauce. I like to use room temperature applesauce to maintain the dough. Next, add in the yeast mixture and one cup of flour. Mix the dough, it will be sticky at first. Add another cup of flour and combine, stir with spoon for about 30 seconds. Finally, add remaining cup and a half of flour and knead for at least 8 minutes (at 10 minutes your arms will be tired!). If you have a question on how to knead dough, click here. The dough should not be sticky at all. If the dough is sticky, sdd a bit more flour.
Turn oven off.
Step 3: Let it rise.
Rub 1 TBSP olive oil over the dough and place it back inside the bowl. Wet a towel with water to make damp. Cover bowl with cloth. Place in oven and let rise for 60 minutes. Be sure and set your timer!
When the timer goes off, take bread out of bowl and cut into three even peices. I use this amazing dough cutter from amazon (this is an affiliate link!). Don’t wait until you are 40 like I did to get one.
Step 4: Bake.
Grease a bread pan, and place the 3 balls of dough into the pan. Next, place back in the oven (keeping it off still) for 20 minutes. Set the timer! Bread should rise a little more.
Remove from oven and preheat oven to 350 degrees. After preheating, when the oven hits 350, place in and cook for 30 minutes. When the timer goes off, the top of your dairy free bread should be a deep golden brown. And top with this AMAZING vegan butter from Myokos (an affiliate link means that I receive a small proceed from introducing you to this product).
Tips for making the best dairy free bread.
- Do not be afraid to use very warm water, just not hot to touch.
- Knead, knead, and knead. The kneading creates a soft and fluffy product.
- Important reminder, don’t rush the rise, leave the dough in the oven during both the 60 minute and 20 minute segments.
- Measure the flour evenly.
- Use the middle rack for baking.
Dairy Free Bread
- 1 cup water very warm but not hot
- 1 tbsp active dry yeast
- 1/4 cup cane sugar plus one pinch for starter
- 1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce room temperature
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 pat vegan butter Myokos
- Mix together a pinch of sugar with the yeast into a bowl of warm water (not hot, but very warm to touch). Let set for 5 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 170 degrees.
- In a large metal bowl, mix together 1/4 cup sugar, olive oil, and applesauce. Mix until well combined (this is going into the oven so metal is preferred).
- Add in the yeast mixture and one cup of flour to the large bowl. Stir with a spatula until mixed. Once smooth, add add another cup of flour and combine.
- Add remaining cup and a half of flour and knead with dough with your hands for about 8-10 minutes. The dough should not be sticky at all. If it is, add a bit more flour until it’s not – I usually end up adding at least 2 Tablespoons.
- Turn oven off. Rub 1 tbsp oil over the dough and place it back inside the bowl. Wet a towel with water to make damp. Cover bowl with cloth.
- Place in oven and let rise for 60 minutes.
- After timer goes off, cut the bread into three, even sized balls. Place inside a greased bread pan (I use olive oil to grease). Place back in oven (still off) for 20 minutes.
- Remove from oven and preheat oven to 350 degrees. When oven has reached temperature, place in and cook for 30 minutes. Let sit for a few minutes before slicing.
Check out other recipes for dairy free treats!
Hope you enjoy!
Happy Eating! Kate